December 04, 2010

Challenges and Vegetables

Day two of Paleo.

Breakfast- Smoothie made with two bananas, almond milk, and a small scoop of sunflower seeds.

Lunch- Bell pepper, bamboo shoots, carrots, peas (not allowed, I know, but they are nutritious),  beef, with red curry mixed in coconut milk.

Snack- Almond, cashew, raisin mix.

Dinner- Sort of a vegetable hodge podge.  We had a container full of cut vegetables from my husband's concoction the other night, so here is my master recipe:


  • Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Line one large pan with tin foil.
  • Place zucchini, tomato, portablello mushroom in the pan.
  • Spread minced garlic all over the vegetables.
  • Sprinkle thyme, Chinese 5 spice, and basil.
  • Drizzle just a little bit of olive oil.
  • Use a wooden spoon to move and mix everything.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until all the vegetables look soft and cooked.

Class was hmmm, there. I suppose.  I rolled with Pete, a brown belt, whose style is similar to a vice grip.  My challenge with this roll was to work on speed and escapes, but not be dragged into the "defense" mode.  I pushed myself to keep the eagle eye out for the submission, the offense. 

Second roll was with Tino, a black belt.  Tino is surgeon.  Razor clean technique.  Fast.  I threw everything but the kitchen sink into this roll, just went for it; sweep, side control, arm lock, and my new love, turtle to triangle.  On one hand, I was taking risks, ;) on the other hand, my risks were landing me in a heap of disadvantage ;(...  

Next up was Anthony, a fellow purple.  I have to force myself to roll with Anthony.  Does anyone here have a person in class whose strengths somehow fit perfectly with your ALL of your weaknesses?  Who just beats you into the mat like a rotten grape?  Who you practically hand submissions to wrapped in a gold box?  Anthony is that guy for me.  He is my height (5'6"), but built like a pocket Hercules.  So so so fast and annoyingly strong.  When he pulls on my sleeve or collar, I can really feel how much stronger he is than me and it can be a little daunting.  So a roll with Anthony is a meditation on technique.  No wasted energy, only clean purposeful technique or else I am done for.  Good times.

My next two rolls were with David and Jeff, also fellow purples.  Both fights were solid, even,  a lot of trading off from advantage to disadvantage, back again, etc...  

Last roll was with John, a blue belt.  FINALLY, I dominated.  But, I feel like, yeah,  I had damn well better dominate that fight.  Tapped him out with a kimura.  Cool.

As I write this, I am realizing, class was pretty good.  I pushed myself to spar with people who I knew would present different challenges, but LORD oh lord please let the skills come faster!  Onward...

Train well,

Dag

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a lot of upper belt talent at your academy. Where in the SD-area do you train? I'll be home for Christmas break (12/24 to 1/2). My SD school (Saulo/Xande's UNIJJ) is closed the week I'm home. Will your place be open? Maybe I can stop by and get in a few sessions. rick - at - alohalee - dot - com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess this has to be the place:
    http://www.fabiojiujitsu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your recipes. I'm genuinely trying to counter my natural Southern affinity for unhealthful foods.

    I'd love to hear more about how you deal with guys that are your size, but way stronger. I have a hard time with that personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ G-Stamp- Yes, you found it, I train with Fabio Santos on Mission Gorge Road, but he is also closed for Xmas. Time for more cardio!....;)

    @Megan- I am sooooo with you on Southern food, really any food for that matter. I work in an area that has literally over 80 cultures, and the food choices are phenomenal. And on rolling with guys who are a lot stronger, I find success in technique and speed, technique and speed; I chant this mantra to myself. The problem, of course, is that my technique is not always good enough to counter my opponent, then I take mental notes on where I made a mistake, and correct them on the next roll.

    ReplyDelete