June 20, 2011

Music

Love, Music, Food...

The trifecta that produces everything that is perfect.

Solo, these elements function like well-oiled machines, but together they are more powerful than a hurricane.

I discovered the importance of music for competition preparation at the Mundials.  I also discovered the importance of allowing my natural instincts for movement to flow.  I trained in classical ballet for many years ago, along with tap, jazz, and a dash of modern dance.  I have always felt calmed by the process of interpreting music through action.  By turning up the music at the Mundials and moving, I stayed in a wonderful state of serenity.  And not the fake serenity that had me repeated relaxing mantras over and over, (think Seinfeld, "serenity now") but real, honest to goodness, focused, calm.  This was the first time I felt like I figured out competition.

A couple of weeks ago Megan at Tangled Triangle posted her list of "fight" songs, which was a fantastic idea that I decided to steal.  So here is "Dagney's Mood,"  this is a list of some, not all, of my favorite songs.  I could not figure out how to paste the actual link from my I-Tunes list, so I pasted the song, group, and the album.


Energia / Abacaxi / Samba Percussion Live In Concert

Moonlight Sonata (Sonata No. 14) / UltraMax & Penn State Innovation Orchestra / Trans-siberian Orchestra Tribute (Technoclassica)

Bohemian Rhapsody / Queen / Classic Queen

A Little Respect / Erasure / Pop Deluxe Box (Audio Version)

Crazy In Love / BeyoncĂ© / Dangerously In Love

$10 Bill / Cop Shoot Cop / Ask Questions Later

Sing, Sing, Sing / Big Band Orchestra / 20 Best of Big Bands

Jump, Jive an' Wail / The Brian Setzer Orchestra / The Dirty Boogie

Ja Sha Taan / Fun "Da" Mental / Erotic Terrorism

Hoya Hoye / Bole 2 Harlem / Bole 2 Harlem, Vol. 1

Novo / Abacaxi / Samba Percussion Live In Concert

Kashmir (feat. Slash) / Escala Classical

Mysterious Ways / U2 / (Deluxe Version)


Sooooo, what are yours?

Train well,
Dag


   

4 comments:

  1. Oh, we're definitely simpatico bjj-music-wise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Queen!!

    ...I love that song. I learned to play it on piano as a kid and used to play it non stop. I also need to check out that samba piece. I don't really know the style well and want to check out more.

    But sure you can borrow my brain...should this be an email conversation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Shark Girl, I am so glad you like the list! It's kind of all over the map. You should see my entire I-Tunes list.

    @Megan, love LOVE Bohemian Rhapsody. Let me know how you like the Samba piece.

    @ both-I am an old schooler at heart for music. If I had my druthers I would have a whole stereo set-up with a turn-table and a receiver and infinite space for my vinyl, and infinite time and money to shop for vinyl, but alas! twill not be.

    I resisted and balked at I-Tunes for months (as my family laughed at me) until I started playing around with the I-Tunes search engine, and then all of a sudden I ALL this music at my fingertips that I could sample and purchase for a fraction of what I used to spend on music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo, music! Man, I missed so many great posts due to my continuing Google Reader woes! Anyway, my response to the music question is always this. :D

    ReplyDelete