September 12, 2013

Takedowns

or my lack thereof...

There was a time I would have never thought to take up a martial art.  I did.  There was a time I never thought I would be good at it.  I practiced.  Now I have skill.  And I love it.

There was a time I was a terrible shot.  I hated shooting practice.  I dreaded it in fact.  Then I got frustrated with being frustrated.  I switched to a better, smaller, more comfortable gun.  I practiced.  Now I have skill.  And I love shooting.

There was a time I said, "I'll never be able to do one pull-up."  I challenged myself, "BUT, what if I tried..."  I practiced.  Now I have strength, and I can do weighted pull-ups.  I love doing them.  Once, during work, I saw a guy doing pull-ups on the bar of a traffic light.  I moxied up, walked over, and did 4  pull-ups with my 30 pound gun belt.

Right now, I hate take downs.  I have always hated them. I suck at them.  Well, today, I am done with that.  I am going to practice takedowns and I going to get good at them.  Really good.  Like, people in class will dread starting from standing with me good.

Dag

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking along similar lines the other night. There was a time I told myself I couldn't cook - my kids LOVE my meals and baked goods now. There was a time I told myself I couldn't do pull ups or climb a rope- I can now. Thanks for the motivation and idea - take downs, Here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen! You know, I just love daring myself these days. Especially being in the 40 range, I feel like I am helping to re-define what that means. When I was a kid, 40 meant you were starting the turn toward, "I can't do that anymore..." Every year, for the past 5 years, I am able to say, "Hey! I am in better shape NOW than I was one year ago. I can do xyz that I could not do one year ago." That's a great feeling! I am so glad you share this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome mindset, Dagney! I love it. I've had to use that type of mentality myself to overcome many hurdles in my jiu-jitsu game, as well as in my personal and professional life! Takedowns are definitely on my list of things to change my proficiency in! Thanks for the inspiration! - Ronnie

    ReplyDelete