Hi all

 It's raining in Alpine, CA.  Again. The back yard is starting to flood. Again. Dave and I are fortunate to live in an area that is well designed and near Cleveland National Forest. It means homes are not stacked like bricks upon one another and despite some minor flooding, we do not need to visit the sandbag store every 5 minutes.

So, the rain means I am staring into space, watching the weather with a quiet, pondering mind...And considering writing about jiu jitsu again. I am officially INTO my 5th decade of living, I have obtained a 2nd degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the rank of Maestra in Babao Arnis, and am a newly minted black belt in Cacoy Doce Pares Eskrima. (The Arnis and the Eskrima are both Filipino martial arts. 

I was questioning whether to stay here on Blogger, or do I go with the cool kids to Substack or Patreon?  Or Word Press? Medium? I've decided to stay here for now. At the end of the day, I can write, I can share the link, and interested parties can read what I share.

As a lady not over just 40, but over 50, practicing two martial arts, I see a new horizon and new responsibility.  I am not even close to slowing down, and consistently train with people younger, faster, and stronger. The years of obsessing over recovery and proper fuel have served me well. Menopause threw me for a loop, but copious research a firm commitment to no medication, and strict regimen has landed me in an ideal place, mentally and physically. My new horizon? To spend the next 5 decades moving. Aggressively. 

I recently started teaching a women's beginning no-gi class at Alpine Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which was started by a jiu jitsu colleague, Frank Califano. Taking on a regular class did not used to be a priority or even a goal, but here I am apparently, passing on torches to a new generation. As I train for the next promotion in Filipino Martial Arts, which will authorize me to be an instructor, the path of instruction is not just a faint line on my map, it's major freeway under construction.

I have been a cajoler and convincer to folks reluctant to start training, and but that freeway under construction means I can no longer rest on my laurels as a cheerleader talking up my arts. I have to step into the ring and show people my cards. Here is what I do, and here is how I do it.  Additionally, I see a path to set an example for ladies also entering their 5th decade. This is not the time to slow down. This is the time to dial up curiosity to 11, to take on age-related changes with a proactive approach, and make the next stages of life something that you walk into with liquid, beautiful, flowing, chainmail coat and a muscular mind. 

Comments

  1. Nice Deb, you're a huge inspiration keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, keep up the grind! It's Caleb (from Fabio's, now living in Austin!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caleb! Hope all is well with you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SWAT tryouts